Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain harryagain is offline

Default Button polish or teak oil for stair rail?

"AL_n" wrote in message
I've installed a couple of stair handrails in my house. They are made of
pine which I have stained. What would be the most suitable finish: button
polish, or teak oil or is the difference insignificant?

I tried using something called Antique Oil from B&Q but it didn't go off
properly for some reason. It ended up drying to a kind of waxy finish that
I could scratch away with a finger nail, and that was after about a month
of drying. I ened up removing it all. Maybe it was past its use-by date or
something.

Thank you,
Al

Varnish. You will need to et the stuff you previously applied off first
though.

Some of the stuff you mention is intended to soak into timber. If it can't
soak in, it won'tdry.