Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Chet Chet is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

u...
"James Nipper" wrote in message
net...
I have a vacation property in the mountains, of about six acres, two
acres of which are cleared and developed. I have areas away from the
house area in which I need water access for watering plants, flowers, etc.
Ideally, I would love to have about three faucets in areas that are up to
about 400 feet away from the house.

I can purchase 500 to 600 feet of hoses, and with the use of "T's" add
several branches (hoses) to allow me to water in several selected areas.
But, if I use high quality hoses, this would be pretty expensive, and it
all seems so "temporary."

I am wondering if it would be more economical to run a main line of about
500 feet, using some sort of plastic pipe (cannot remember the name of
the current most common), and then run my hose branches from that ? (The
main line would have to lay on the ground, through the woods).
Whatever I use, I need to be able to drain the line during winters, but I
suppose I could get fittings for this equipped with a drain screw or
valve or something.

Any ideas of what I should look for, or use ? Any general ideas of how
to accomplish what I am trying to do ?

I don't know what country you're in but I use polypipe to take water all
over the place and since a lot of it has now been in place for up to 20
years, I don't consider it to be temporary.

I use 2 inch, 1 inch and three quarter inch. Very little of this is laid
underground except for perhaps 20 ft of the 2 inch stuff that forms a main
artery. Some of the 1 inch and three quarters of an inch stuff has become
covered over the eyars as drebris drops on top of it. I have a main 2
inch line coming from our big tank (cistern in USian) and then I run one
inch and 3/4 inch withint the veg garden and in the orchard and down to
the chook pen and also from another 2 inch pipe down at the pond at the
bottom of the garden.

Lay it out on a hot summers day when the sun helps it to lie out better
and carry some hot water to do all the connections and it's an easy job.
One hint would be that if you manage to find little sprinkler heads that
you like, buy a truck load. I am reduced to 2 heads of my favourites.

Agree with the above. For what he wants to do, 1" poly pipe should work.
It's readily available at HD, Lowes, plumbing supply, online, etc. and
reasonably priced.