Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Blown in cellulose in new construction

ls02 wrote:
I am thinking about using blown in cellulose insulation for new
construction: walls, attic as well in floors between first and second
floor and between first floor and basement. I have a lot of pipes and
wires so I suspect blown in cellulose will provide better value then
fiberglass batts which hard to put around so many obstacles.

Has anyone done this?

What's the cost of blown in cellulose vs fiber glass batts?

What's the best way to apply it to walls and floors? I saw video when
they blow it to wall open cavity then use some sort of screed to
screed excess flush with walls. What about floors? If I blow it to
ceiling will it stick and not fall down?

Not cellulose. The stuff you see squirted into an open wall is polystyrene
foam (think Great Stuff).

Sprayed foam has superb insulating qualities (R=6+/inch) and not cheap.
Fiberglass is about 2/3rds (R=4/inch) the insulating qualities of foam.
Cellulose has about the same R-value as fiberglass, but is typically applied
in a thinner layer resulting in an overall lesser R-value than fiberglass.

You can't easily use blown-in cellulose on a wall. To do so, you have to
finish the wall, open a hole, fill the cavity, then patch the hole. One hole
per stud. After that, the cellulose will settle with time and you'll end up
with only 3/4 of the wall insulated.

In your case, I'd recommend fiberglass batts and a sharp knife to mold it
around pipes and wires.