Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.gardens
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Rural Irrigation/Remote Faucets Methods ??

On 6/29/2011 6:30 PM, James Nipper wrote:
I have a vacation property in the mountains, of about six acres, two acres
of which are cleared and developed. I have areas away from the house area
in which I need water access for watering plants, flowers, etc. Ideally, I
would love to have about three faucets in areas that are up to about 400
feet away from the house.

I can purchase 500 to 600 feet of hoses, and with the use of "T's" add
several branches (hoses) to allow me to water in several selected areas.
But, if I use high quality hoses, this would be pretty expensive, and it all
seems so "temporary."

I am wondering if it would be more economical to run a main line of about
500 feet, using some sort of plastic pipe (cannot remember the name of the
current most common), and then run my hose branches from that ? (The main
line would have to lay on the ground, through the woods). Whatever I use,
I need to be able to drain the line during winters, but I suppose I could
get fittings for this equipped with a drain screw or valve or something.

Any ideas of what I should look for, or use ? Any general ideas of how to
accomplish what I am trying to do ?

thanks !!

James

you could use PEX or PVC, but both are weakened by long term exposure to
UV (sun) So you'd have to paint them with some light colored exterior
latex after laying them out. I'd suspect they'd give you 5 or 6 years
service without paint. (my experience) then they start to get brittle.

--
Steve Barker