Posted to uk.d-i-y
Luke Luke is offline

Default Woodburner - cracking of plaster behind

Hi,
I put a woodburner in during the autumn last year.

Unfortunately, behind the woodburner, the skim coat and, to some
degree, the bonding coat, has cracked

Perhaps an obvious question, but how bad is the cracking?
If the cracks are relatively minor (due to the plaster drying out more than
usual) then do you expect more cracking in the future, or can you just make
good with filler?

Well, the cracking is bad enough for about a dinner-plate sized piece
of skim coat to come away completely. Underneath that you can see fine
cracks in the bonding coat. I had thought of making good with filler
but I'd spend every evening peering at it again wondering if it had
cracked. To be honest due to the extensive nature of the cracks I
don't think filling it will cut the mustard.

I will look at lime render. Metal sheet is worth considering, but I
can foresee difficulties in making good around the register plate and
at the hearth where the plasterwork in these areas is already quite
intricate. I'm sort of leaning towards a board material but the
question is, what specific type? "Fireshield" is only about a tenner a
sheet, whereas something like Supalux (Class 0 fire rating) is £116
for an 8*4 sheet. Ouch!

http://www.allowaytimber.com/flame_retardant_board.php

I can see that fan would make a difference but that strikes me as
extra hassle and a bit weird.

Luke