Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hanging Things on HardiPlank

On Mon, 30 May 2011 19:18:56 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

My wife wants to hang an ornament on the side of our house, which is
covered with HardiPlank. I did a search to find out how to drill a hole
into the material:

"Use a drill bit meant for concrete. Drill the holes so that the screw
threads will be anchored in the wall studs - not just the Hardiplank or
sheathing. The Hardiplank itself is too brittle to hold a lot of
additional weight or wind loading. The usual OSB sheathing isn't very
strong for this, either."

I have Hardipanel, so it's somewhat different because of the geometry, but a
regular twist drill will go through it easily enough. I use cheap bits
because the stuff does ruin them. HF has more. I've hung Christmas lights
and small ornaments on just screws (or screw hooks) just into the Hardipanel.
No problems.

I wouldn't use a toggle bolt. They're not great for sheer loads and will leak
(the hole is a lot bigger than the screw). I'd rather the fastener just
pulled out than take a good hunk of the sheet with it.

I don't know if there is sheathing under the planking. It may be screwed
to studes. It is unlikely that there are studs behind where she wants
this single nail or screw to be inserted. The one time I tried to drill
a hole in HardiPlank, I used a masonry bit. It did not drill well. It
essentially wore a hole in the siding.

Once I get the hole in the siding, I'm at the point of no return. Should
I be prepared to use a plastic anchor if there is no sheathing or stud?

How big is what she wants hung?

Suggestions?