Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ret.[_5_] Ret.[_5_] is offline

Default Sticking radiator thermostat

Moonraker wrote:
I have a valve sticking on one of my radiators. It comes on when
called but does not go off (at least we are warm :-) ) I have swapped
the actual heat sensor part with another radiator to no effect. Is
there anyway to free the valve, as I don't want to have to drain the
whole system to replace it, which seems the only other option.

It is not normally the 'head' that is causing the problem. With most TRVs,
when you remove the head you will see a 'pin' sticking out of the valve. It
is this pin that can become sticky when not used for a period. Grip the pin
with a pair of pliers and gently work it in and out a few times to free it
up. Don't pull too hard or you can pull it right out of the valve. After
working it like this a few times you should find that it will operate ok
again.

--
Kev