Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23924 Ignoramus23924 is offline

Default Can a small industrial demagnetizer erase a hard drive

On 2011-05-25, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus23924" wrote in message
I have a little industrial demagnetizer from a grinding shop. Can this
thing erase contents of hard drives securely? Or the magnetic field is
not string enough? I have a pile of old HDs awaiting destruction.

THe alternative is my press, which is more of a PITA.

Thanks

Reminds me of the ex girlfriend of one of my buddies back when Radio Shack
had a real computer push. She was their computer guru. Usually she asked
me or my buddy for help with anything as we were real computer nerds back
then. One day she didn't ask us when she decided to erase an old Seagate
MFM hard drive with a mag tape bulk eraser. When she powered it up you
could hear that drive screaming 4 shops down the walkway in the mall.

Hard drives have very powerful magnets in them.