Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Can a small industrial demagnetizer erase a hard drive

Ignoramus23924 wrote:

I have a little industrial demagnetizer from a grinding shop. Can this
thing erase contents of hard drives securely? Or the magnetic field is
not string enough? I have a pile of old HDs awaiting destruction.

THe alternative is my press, which is more of a PITA.

It shouldn't really matter. Is the data on them important enough to
anybody for them to bother to go to the trouble to read it anyway?

If they were mine, I'd take the bandsaw to them. Or crush them.

But just opening the cover and scraping the disk with a screwdriver
will do it.

And to me, it'd be a heck of a lot more fun crushing them in the press
than running a silly lil' ol' demagnetizer over them, which probably
wouldn't have any effect anyway, since the steel covers will "short out"
the magnetic field.

Have Fun!
Rich