Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pentagrid@yahoo.com is offline

Default Can a small industrial demagnetizer erase a hard drive

On Wed, 25 May 2011 10:30:08 -0500, Ignoramus23924
wrote:

I have a little industrial demagnetizer from a grinding shop. Can this
thing erase contents of hard drives securely? Or the magnetic field is
not string enough? I have a pile of old HDs awaiting destruction.

THe alternative is my press, which is more of a PITA.

Thanks

Not nearly strong enough for succesful erasure. Severe mechanical
destruction is the only safe way,

A pickaxe stroke strong enough to both penetrate and
mechanically distort the disk platter is a good start.

CD / DVD destruction is much easier see http://flic.kr/p/9LRLva

Jim