Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spraying Latex with HVLP

On Sun, 22 May 2011 21:19:00 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

I have a Graco 3 stage HVLP. Love it for shellac, lacquer, poly, dye,
etc. I bought a bigger tip. I have a 2qt pot that takes pressure from
my compressor then a material line out to a gun which has the hvlp air
also. It blew the BIN primer well but the Latex\Enamel Semi Gloss was
almost to heavy to spray but I got a decent spray after tweaking the
flow\air\etc.

I had trouble with my HF HVLP conversion gun spraying sg latex enamel.
I couldn't buy a larger tip so I thinned with floetrol. It finally
shot OK after I warmed the mixture to 100F or so.

I am getting small air bubbles in the paint. Just pin head sized but
lots of them they don't pop and end up leaving nibs once dry.

How close are you spraying?

I know this setup is barely strong enough to blow latex but wondering
if anyone has any ideas. I did use some flowtrol. Not sure if that was
the issue or if I should use more or what.

I am pretty sure I had the gun and lines clear of the alcohol from
cleaning the bin and I sprayed one side of 6 cabinet doors and was
still getting bubbles although tweaking to lees paint seemed to help a
bit.

It sounds almost as if you're flowing so much liquid that the air is
foaming it before it hits the project. It would take a whole lot of
air pressure to do that, though, I'd WAG.

Have you called either Graco or Flood about it yet?

You also didn't state how you mixed the floetrol into the paint, but
bubbles in paint usually don't transfer whole through a gun. Good
atomization should take care of that.

--
Doubt 'til thou canst doubt no more...doubt is thought and thought
is life. Systems which end doubt are devices for drugging thought.