Posted to rec.woodworking
Rich Rich is offline

Default Spraying Latex with HVLP

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I have a Graco 3 stage HVLP. Love it for shellac, lacquer, poly, dye,
etc. I bought a bigger tip. I have a 2qt pot that takes pressure from
my compressor then a material line out to a gun which has the hvlp air
also. It blew the BIN primer well but the Latex\Enamel Semi Gloss was
almost to heavy to spray but I got a decent spray after tweaking the
flow\air\etc.

I am getting small air bubbles in the paint. Just pin head sized but
lots of them they don't pop and end up leaving nibs once dry.

I know this setup is barely strong enough to blow latex but wondering
if anyone has any ideas. I did use some flowtrol. Not sure if that was
the issue or if I should use more or what.

I am pretty sure I had the gun and lines clear of the alcohol from
cleaning the bin and I sprayed one side of 6 cabinet doors and was
still getting bubbles although tweaking to lees paint seemed to help a
bit.

I'm no expert in the field of painting but did a kitchen cabinet painting
job for a customer, used Zinnser BIN which I love and then sprayed water
based enamel with a HVLP guy. The job came out excellent to my standards and
the customers. I found thinning the with water worked well. Also found out
the hard way when spraying cabinets, work outside in not the other way
around or you will get over spray drying on paint thats drying causing a
rough finish and lots of sanding. I'd stay away from latex if you're
planning on sanding it. Latex does not sand well. I would not use latex
except on walls, not on cabinets or doors.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring