Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Single phase induction motor starting problem

On May 18, 12:20*pm, robgraham wrote:

Further guidance now sought - I've got the capacitor off, but am
puzzled by its working voltage of 125vac (capacitance of 200mfd). *

Jet tools - US spec electrics. We no longer get the toggle switch
controls with no NVR, but we do still get vibration-sensitive magnetic
latches that wear out in 6 months, motors that overheat at 50Hz and
these capacitors that are under-specced for their actual use. Let
alone the abyssmal standards of construction and reliable earth
continuity on most US-built kit. A lot of US kit simply isn't safe on
arrival

Working voltage on capacitors like this doesn't mean that they'll fail
instantly at anything over this, it's more of a design working voltage
to achieve an adequate life. As you've discovered, when used in Europe
the result tends to be a functional unit on arrival, but with an
inadequately short lifetime.

I suggest fixing it by replacing the capacitor - it's easy to find
replacements from anyone who deals with power electrics or motors.

I'd also suggest a complaint to jet and to your retailer. This
American electrical farce has gone on for far too long. China doesn't
try to sell this sort of under-spec kit any more, why should the US
get a free ride?