Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes[_3_] Rick Hughes[_3_] is offline

Default Single phase induction motor starting problem

"robgraham" wrote in message
The wood working club has a bobbin sander made by Jet and bought from
Axminster some 3 years ago. Recently it has been tripping the C32
RCBO on the ring it is on as it starts up. This is random. Many
times it will work OK, but on the umpteenth time there's an initial
spin of the motor and then the system trips - and of course if there's
another machine running on the same ring, then the trips occur more
frequently. You can then go for another series of starts before it
trips again.

90% possibility it's capacitor ... my cement mixer motor went the same way,
I just went to a scrap yard and found one similar in Voltage & uF rating
..... been working for last 11 years OK.
eBay wasn't around then ... sure you would find one on line, but for things
like this a local electrical rewind place usually has a scrap bin.

They are only used during start, but if they are gone .. or leaking they
either won't self start or will trip the breaker.