Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soft Start

On 05/05/2011 23:21, Steve Walker wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2011 19:39:55 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Anyone know whether it's possible to add soft start to a tool that
wasn't born with it - maybe by using some external plug-in wizardry?

I have a Lidl compressor which, according to my power meter, takes about
750 watts[1] when running.

etc

Does it start ok when there is no pressure in the receiver?

Dunno - I'll try it.

If so then you
could add a three port solenoid operated valve between the compressor and
the receiver. The valve can vent the compressor output to atmosphere when
the motor power is removed and re-connect the compressor output to the
receiver a few seconds after the motor is powered up. It wouldn't be cheap
though.

An interesting solution. I'm not going to spend much money on anything
though, because it was just an experiment to see whether I could operate
it away from a mains power supply - but I have no compelling need to
actually do that.
--
Cheers,
Roger