Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default How much light can I get out of this fixture?

In , Sam Takoy wrote mainly:

I'm looking at a ceiling fan that can take "(3) 40W 110V candelabra base
(E12)".

With modern light bulbs (CFL or LED) how much light will I actually be
able to get out of it?

As for retail-available ones, there are "60W-equivalent" candelabra-
base CFLs having actual wattage around 14 watts or so.

They don't produce more heat than 40W incandescents, despite CFLs being
more efficient at producing non-radiant heat than incandescents are.

My guess at this moment such CFLs are good for 700-800 lumens, maybe
claiming at least 800. 700 lumens is "lowish 60 watt equivalence".
Three of these CFLs out-lumens even a 100W 120V halogen or two 50W 12V
halogens designed to last typically 2,000 hours or more.

==============

I would rather go with "40W-equivalent", in order to avoid the
most-aggressive design. I have good experience with 40W-equiv. CFLs
with outer bulbs in ceiling fan fixtures. They use only 9 watts each.

Starting dimmer and needing a full minute or 2 to warm up is worse
for CFLs that have outer bulbs over the tubing, not-as-bad for ones with
bare tubing. (At least generally!)

However, I don't see many candelabra-base CFLs without outer bulbs.

Any chance of replacing the candelabra sockets with E26 ones?

=======
--
- Don Klipstein )