Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Turning lights on trips circuit breaker

On Apr 23, 6:26*pm, "RBM" wrote:
"bob haller" wrote in message

On Apr 23, 5:16 pm, Jo wrote:

The other night I went to turn on the lights at the light switch by my
front door and it made some noise and the lights wouldn't come on.
Some of the electrical outlets in the neigboring room wouldn't work
either. It tripped the circuit breaker so I reset it. I tried again to
turn the lights on at the switch and it tripped the circuit breaker
again. When it does this, the light switch makes a weird noise.

Does anyone know what might be wrong here? I know the wiring in the
house is piggybacked, if that makes a difference. And should there be
any problems using the electrical outlets that are somehow connected
to the light switch, as long as I leave the lights off? My TV is
plugged into one of those outlets, so I want to make sure it doesn't
get damaged somehow.

Thanks,
Jo

First UNPLUG everything thats dead with the breaker trpped, and see if
the light then comes on.

If the light then works normally plug one item in at a time till the
breaker trips again, that item is the one with a problem, its highly
possible its the TV

First of all Haller, she just said, the breaker tripped when she turned on a
light switch. Unless her light switch operates a table lamp, the problem
isn't going to be with anything "plugged in".
Second, if you did have a short in something plugged in, and followed your
advice, by unplugging everything, resetting the breaker, then plugging
things back in, you'd get a face full of hot sparks when you tried to plug
in the shorted device. No wonder everyone who you've helped with electrical
problems, has had fires in their houses, you're a menace- Hide quoted text -

her words.