Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drop ceiling or drywall ceiling?

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:18:36 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

CraigT wrote:
I know everyone wants a drywall ceiling, but I have a walkout
basement that if I were to put a drywall ceiling in I'd have to put in 12
access
panels for electrical boxes, water shutoffs, vent dampers, etc. in an area
18' X 27'. Here are couple pictures of what I've got in the way of
"stuff" I need access to and what it might look like with all the panels.
Would I just be better off going with a drop ceiling?

Why not both?

A drop ceiling with drywall panels.

Unless you do something with the edges I don't think it'll last long. It'll
be some PITA to get in without making a major mess.

The fire-retardant properties of drywall make it worth considering.

Without tape, I'd think a fire would go right around it. Aluminum rails
aren't going to stop much of a fire.