Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default POP/CREAK SOUND from attic/new roof???

On 4/5/2011 1:49 PM, wrote:
On 4/5/2011 1:23 PM, infiniteMPG wrote:
Seems to happen more when temps are rising (sun coming up) then when
cooling (evening) but have heard it late at night occasionally. Would
of thought the roof would of "settled" over the last 4 or 5 years of
brutal summer heat and chilly winters (maybe just a week or two, but
still below freezing). Anything that can be done about it (beads of
contractor adhesive between roof plywood and 2x4's or something like
that?) or just something to live with? Sometimes it's pretty loud and
since it's in the front hallway it sounds like someone at the front
door :O/

No gutters so can rule that out :O)

Look especially at the sunniest portion of the house when you hear it
early in the day....ductwork, ac, pipes, rafters...something knocking
when something else is warming/cooling. I lived a long time in Florida,
but never had that sort of noise....only an occ. rattle, like mild
earthquakes and I lived in sink-hole area ) In a different location, I
used to have clunking noise from aluminum siding as it warmed and cooled.

Shrug. The roof on my addition talks to me as the sun goes down. Trusses
sliding on the tops of the interior walls, I expect.

--
aem sends...