Posted to uk.d-i-y
Triffid Triffid is offline

Default Most reliable combi boiler 2011

Andy Cap wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Now that's the comparison I'd like to see. The total running costs
of a cast iron block against three combis over the same period.

Not like for like. Compare it to a non combi condensing boiler.

That's fine and will be my choice, but it's not what most people are
sold and the combis are sold on the grounds of savings and I'd like to
see an honest comparison.

Our gas consumption has dropped significantly since replacing the 31 year
old Baxi conventional with the WB Greenstar condensing combi.

Clearly, only heating the hot water that you actually need, rather than
heating a whole tankful of water 'just in case' you might need it, is a
considerable saving.

We have also found that the radiators heat up far more rapidly when the
heating kicks in first thing in the morning. This is because, of course, all
the efforts of the boiler are put into heating the radiators, rather than
also heating up a large tankful of hot water as well.

It's not all positive, of course, it takes a bit longer to fill the bath
(although the shower, fed straight from the boiler, is perfect). There will
be no stored hot water if the boiler packs up.

I was 'nervous' about switching from a conventional system to a combi - but
actually have no regrets whatsoever now we've done it.

--
Triff.