Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default cutting board oil

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 2/28/2011 12:16 PM SteveB spake thus:

What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store or? I
just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I have that
is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests poppyseed or tung
oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems to say NOT to use any
kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid. What do YOU use?

Well, *I* use cooking oil, thank you very much. Works fine for me. Haven't
noticed any problems with rancidity; just a matter of keeping the board
reasonably clean. Olive oil or whatever works fine.

DON'T USE TUNG OIL! At least not the boiled variety; contains toxic stuff
(driers). Maybe UNBOILED linseed oil. But just use ordinary vegetable oil.

Dunno about food-grade mineral oil; sounds OK, but I don't know where to
get it either.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet

I am sure you can buy it locally but:
http://www.google.com/search?q=food-...3424583e0d5426

Google search term: food grade mineral oil and click on the shopping
results.

Don't use the veggie oil. Over time it will go rancid.

--
Colbyt