Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default cutting board oil

On 2/28/2011 5:30 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:20:49 -0500, wrote:

On 2/28/2011 5:10 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:05:20 -0500, George wrote:

On 2/28/2011 3:16 PM, SteveB wrote:
What is food grade mineral oil? Do I get it at the hardware store
or? I just read wykepedia about oils to use on a cutting board that I
have that is drying up, and starting to split. It also suggests
poppyseed or tung oil, not sure where to get that, either. It seems
to say NOT to use any kind of cooking oil, as it becomes rancid.
What do YOU use?

Steve

It is mineral oil that is guaranteed not to have harmful contaminants
and commonly used as a laxative. It is clear and comes in a bottle and
can be found at your neighborhood drug store or pharmacy or if you
want to pay more you can can get it at a kitchen store labeled as
butcher block treatment.

One correction. It can be harmful in larger than usual doses.

I would not use it for this purpose since you cannot predict how much
it will contaminate the food. If it's too much, you'll **** yourself to
death.

For cutting boards, you just wipe the oil on and wipe off again. Food
grade would be that sold at pharmacies or food stores, safe to ingest.
You would not get more than a trace of it on food, used properly. In
long term use (ingestion), mineral oil can cause vitamin deficiency (of
oil soluble vitamins, A, D, E and K).

That's fine. You do what you want with it. I use vegetable oil to stone
my knives with. But then I wash everything after. If this dude's cutting
board is drying/cracking, nothing will fix it. If he wants to prevent
further degeneration he should use Canola, Peanut, Corn oil. Those aren't
as much of a threat as petroleum based mineral oil.

Did you mean to write he *shouldn't* use vegetable oils such as canola
corn oil because of rancidity issues?

Enuff said I'm outta this one.