Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How do I find a broken wire?

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 04:57:31 -0800, mike wrote:

mm wrote:
How do I find a broken wire?

I have a 100 foot orange extension cord that doesn't work.

Usually when I cut one in half with a hedge trimmer, it's fairly easy
to find the defect. And then I fix it.

Other times I use pins to check continuity near the plug or socket,
where cords usually break.

If you can stick a pin in at the end, why can't you stick a pin in the
middle and do the same?
Half-interval search should get you close in no time.

I could but it it would take more than no time. In fact, it took too
long just to do the ends. I have to try several times to hit the wire
and each time is hard because the rubber or vinyl is tougher than it
used to be a few years ago. But it was worth it since it was most
likely at the end. I could use an awl instead of a pin, and that
would go faster, but I don't want to make holes that big. (When I try
multiple times, I can usually use the same outer hole.) I used to
have a collection of corsage pins for jobs like this, with big
handles, but they seem to have been used up, so I was reduced to using
plain straight pins, and they don't work as fast either.

But either way, this is a trip of discovery. To find new ways to do
things. To buy new tools (while still making a distinction betwwen 7
dollars and 45 plus S&H.), or by using the radio, and that's the
advantage of this discussion, .

But this time the problem is somewhere in the middle! If I worked for
the electric compnay, or the cable company, or even probably the gas
company, I'd have some clever tool that find open circuits in the
middle of wires, even underground.

Is there something I have around the house or can buy cheaply that
will do this?

I found for only 45 dollars an Armada Tone Probe, that works with a
tone gneerator, but I guess I want some method that is cheaper!