Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting tile adhesive off a plaster wall

In article ,
Keefiedee writes:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

It will depend how modern a tile adhesive it is. There's pretty much
no chance to get modern adhesive off as it's much stronger and more
resilient than plaster, so the plaster will break away. Very old tile
adhesives were not as strong, but mostly they were still stronger
than the plaster. You will probably need to reskim (unless you are
tiling again, in which case small bits of missing plaster won't
matter, although large areas might).

--
Andrew Gabriel