Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Welding HDPE, how easy is it?

On Feb 7, 10:34*am, wrote:
I was searching for ways to stick HDPE (in the knowledge that, being
polythene, it's pretty dificult) and got some hits on HDPE welding
rods. *That set me to wondering how easy it is to weld, my father used
to weld PVC to make ducting and I know when I played at doing that
(many, many, years ago) it wasn't too difficult.

So, how easy is it to weld HDPE? *I.e. if I get suitable welding rod
and a suitable heat gun will I be able to mend a couple of HDPE water
butts which have splits in them? *Further (and presumably more
difficult) is it realistic to think one might be able to weld a length
of HDPE pipe into the water butt and make the joint waterproof?

Any experience/comments most welcome.

--
Chris Green

If you are talking pipes, there are welding connectors that have an
electric element in them. The pipes are slotted in and a certain
current passed for a certain time and the jobs done.

http://uk.ask.com/web?q=hdpe+sheet+w...2352&o=0&l=dir

http://uk.ask.com/web?qsrc=1&o=0&l=d...welding&dm=all