Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Welding HDPE, how easy is it?

mark wrote:

wrote in message ...
I was searching for ways to stick HDPE (in the knowledge that, being
polythene, it's pretty dificult) and got some hits on HDPE welding
rods. That set me to wondering how easy it is to weld, my father used
to weld PVC to make ducting and I know when I played at doing that
(many, many, years ago) it wasn't too difficult.

So, how easy is it to weld HDPE? I.e. if I get suitable welding rod
and a suitable heat gun will I be able to mend a couple of HDPE water
butts which have splits in them? Further (and presumably more
difficult) is it realistic to think one might be able to weld a length
of HDPE pipe into the water butt and make the joint waterproof?

Any experience/comments most welcome.

--
Chris Green

It is normally fused together in a butt fusion machine. A thickish plate of
metal is heated to, and maintained at a specific temperature, the two PE
components are held against this plate at a specific pressure for a specific
time. The plate is released and removed and the two components are forced
together at a specific pressure for a specific time. It's specific.
In your application I suspect you need to fuse on some repair patchs rather
than weld.

I'm thinking of the sort of plastic welding that uses a heat gun and
welding rod. That was certainly what my father's factory used when
making PVC ducting and it's presumably possible with HDPE as one can
buy HDPE welding rod spcifically for the purpose.

--
Chris Green