Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Robinson David Robinson is offline

Default birds nests inside soffits

Thanks everyone.

On Feb 6, 9:48*am, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Note that if you do decide to remove them, I think you can
only do it at certain times of year outside of the breeding
season (which would be now).

I couldn't reach all of them, but removed the ones I could. I tried to
push one of the "out of reach" ones along with a broom handle, but
without much luck.

That one had some "fresh" grass on top - when the bird (blue tit I
think) returned, it flew right up into the loft (for the first time
AFAICT) presumably looking for the nest.

Then it flew down out of the loft hatch and into the bedroom. It then
tried to fly through a closed window. I was drilling with ear defender
on, but when I stopped for lunch I heard flap flap bang flap flap bang
and wondered what on earth was happening. Of course I let the poor
thing out, but it had to be guided to the open window - it preferred
to take its chances with the far larger area of unopenable window.

Interesting thought patten these birds "I couldn't get through this
gap last time, and it hurt, so next time I need to fly at it even
harder and faster to make sure I get through. Bang. Ow! OK, so I
couldn't get through this gap last time, and it hurt, so..."

Once the new insulation is in place, they won't be able to get into
the loft, and I think that'll do for now. Neighbours have them in
their soffits apparently, and their roof hasn't fallen down (yet).

Cheers,
David.