Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wrapping outdoor faucets (hose bibs)

On Feb 6, 7:32*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
?
"Bob F" wrote
Which is why I like frost proof sill cocks.

I finally installed one a couple years ago. I am waiting for the
repair parts now to fix it. It didn't survive its second Seattle
winter. I hate to think about how well they do in the midwest.

Something is wrong. *Mine are 30 years old and still work just fine.

Yeah, but you're in Miami.

I have 4 frost proof sill cocks on my home in NJ for the last 16
years.
Only one of them has failed and that was because I left a garden
hose filled with water on it so it could not drain. The principles
here
are straightforward and simple. They work by using a very long
valve stem and moving the actual valve 12" from the handle, so that
it's inside the house. Hence, when it's shut off, water drains out
and the water behind the valve is inside, where it can't freeze.

But, there are a number of ways you can screw it up:

Not install a long enough one.

It's below freezing inside where the valve is, perhaps due
to open holes, drafts, etc.

It's pitched in the wrong direction so that water stays in it.

You left a garden hose filled with water attached to it.