Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Robinson David Robinson is offline

Default birds nests inside soffits

Following advice from this thread...
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...2ef95c259bfdea
....I put some extra vents from soffit level straight into the loft
space.

While cutting into the soffits, I've found birds nests! It seems the
cheeky beggars have popped under the bottom tiles, pecked the felt
away, and made a nice home for themselves on top of the inside of the
soffits.

I've stood outside the house and watched - and they're still at it!

I've found three separate nests, but there may be more - the one I
found when cutting into the soffit wasn't visible from inside the
loft.

Should I be worried? It's not that easy (as DIY) to do anything about
it. The soffits are over 1m lower than the level of the loft "floor",
so difficult/impossible to reach from inside. It's also impossible to
reach the felt to fix it.

Any ideas? Professional help? Ignore it? Hook them out?

The bird have not been _into_ the loft itself, and don't be able to
get once I put the insulation on the rafters.

Cheers,
David.

P.S. I though about pushing some chipboard down the line of the roof
from inside the loft to block the holes in the felts - but because the
joists and rafters meet at that point of the loft, the chipboard would
have to be "one joist width" narrower than the gap between the rafters
to get it past - so when it was pushed all the way down it would leave
enough space at the side for the birds to get back in.