Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snowblower engine needs choke to run smoothly

On Feb 5, 12:20*am, Taylor wrote:
My snow blower has a Briggs & Stratton 7.5 hp "Powerbuilt Snow"
horizontal engine. *It has always need a little choke to run smoothly
after it warms up. *With no choke it runs, but stumbles slightly. *With
one click it is a bit smoother, and with two clicks it runs the
smoothest. *More than that, there is too much choke and the engine will
die.

Thinking that perhaps something is clogged in the carburetor/jet, I
replaced the whole carb with a new one. *The result is exactly the same..

I have fresh gas, use Sta-Bil, etc. *I'm not overly worried about it, I
just use two clicks of choke for best power.

However, I suspect that I'm not getting the full 7.5 hp with the choke
restricting air intake. *I'm also curious what the problem is. *A
repairman said that all engines are tuned lean due to EPA rules. *Of
course there is no way to adjust the mixture.

Any ideas what causes this? *Is the repairman right about the mixture
set overly lean on purpose?

Ii assume this is one of the new carbs that isn't designed to be
easily
adjusted? The point about being set to run lean is interesting. I
have a Sears two stroke blower and it too usually runs best with the
choke set to half on. As soon as you move the choke to off, you can
hear it slow down.

One way for it to be running lean, even with a new carb, is an air
leak,
eg between the carb and manifold, leaking head gasket, etc.