Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tying in a/c condensate drain into 1 1/2" PVC pipe from sump pump

On Feb 4, 12:34*pm, Mikepier wrote:
I thought of just eliminating the pump and let it go into the pit, but
I was not sure if I was allowed to do that. The sump basin has holes
all around and on the bottom, so the A/C condensate I assume just
leaches into the ground? Is that ok?

Don't know where you are or what your local codes may or may not
allow. But here in NJ it's done and it apparently passes inspection
on new construction. I've also seen them routed to just a french
perimeter drain, but I think that's more questionable. On new work
I've seen it either going to sump pit or to condensate pump. From
the condensate pump it either goes outside or to a sewer drain.
Most of the HVAC guys I talked to preferred to go to a sewer drain
because of worries about freezing. But I think that's probably more
a worry than reality if you do it right.

Seems to me, the sump, if it's nearby, is the way to go. Less
pumping, one less pump to fail, etc.