Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Mr.E@totally.invalid is offline

Default How to fix spring sticking out of matress

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 08:27:12 -0500, "dadiOH"

I have a spring sticking out of my matress. It dont feel too good
when I lay on it, and I cut my leg once on it now, because it has a
sharp end. Besides that spring sticking out, the matress is in good
shape, and very comfortable. In fact it got more comfortable as it
aged, since it now conforms to my body, where it has a dip in the
middle where the heaviest part of my body lays. New matresses are too
flat.

I'd really like to try to fix it. Either remove that spring, or cut
off the part that sticks out. It's not just being unable to afford a
new matress, but I dont want a new one that will take several years to
get comfortable again.

Anyone know how to fix this without destroying the matress covering in
the process?

Apparently, you don't want to turn the mattress over which means you need to
get rid of the protruding spring.

Mattress springs may be individual springs clipped or tied to each other or
"pocket" springs which are springs inserted into individual fabric tubes.
They too are hooked in some manner to the surrounding springs

If you just clip off the end of the spring, you will leave the end at or
near the surface; you'll probably contact it when your body weight
compresses the matress. Before clipping it off, you could depress the
mattress in that area as much as possible which would leave the cut deeper
in the mattess. That should work pretty well.

Another possibility is to get a long upholsterer's needle and some heavy
twine. By shoving the needle up from the bottom you may be able to pull the
spring down into the normal position and tie off the twine on the bottom of
the mattress. To help keep the spring in position, use a curved needle and
sew it to surrounding springs.

Possibly the best way would be to turn the matress over, cut the fabric
below the offending spring, replace/fix the spring and sew up the bottom.

If the spring came loose at its attachment point, or can be relocated
to be against another spring you can use upholstery hog rings to
fasten the spring to a safe tie off. Sew the access slits back
together and use a fabric adhesive to put a patch over the area to
keep critters out.
--
Mr.E