Posted to alt.home.repair
Limp Arbor Limp Arbor is offline

Default leaking p-trap joint

On Jan 24, 11:44*am, wrote:
The P-trap under my kitchen sink disintegrated the day after
Christmas. Simple DIY repair. No big deal.

I replaced the metal trap with a PVC trap, figuring it wouldn't rust
out or leak ever again...

I can't get the joint where the P-trap enters the copper drain stack
to stop leaking. It's leaking out around the sealing washer, NOT the
threads.

Tightened the nut. Still drips.

Replaced the PVC nut with a metal nut and rubber washer. Still drips.

Do I need to go back to a metal trap?

Probably the old nut you took off had a built-in washer. I too have
copper drains and the nut that goes on the end has a thin piece built-
in that hits the tapered portion inside the drain pipe and gets forced
against the inserted pipe. If the fitting on the inside end of your
copper drain is cone shaped (gets smaller as goes in) the plastic
tapered washers and the flat rubber washers are going to be tough to
get a seal. You may need to dig through the trash and find the old
nut. They still sell those fittings at the Borg and any plumbing
supply house.

I've on occasion had to trim the 'seam' on the PVC pipes with a
utilitly knife. Sometimes they stick out just enought to prevent the
washer from sealing against the side of the pipe.

There is also a pipe dope specifically made for PVC pipes that helps
them slide easier and seal better. If you go this route make sure the
stuff you get is OK for use with PVC.