Posted to alt.home.repair

Default leaking p-trap joint

On Jan 24, 11:44*am, wrote:
The P-trap under my kitchen sink disintegrated the day after
Christmas. Simple DIY repair. No big deal.

I replaced the metal trap with a PVC trap, figuring it wouldn't rust
out or leak ever again...

I can't get the joint where the P-trap enters the copper drain stack
to stop leaking. It's leaking out around the sealing washer, NOT the
threads.

Tightened the nut. Still drips.

Replaced the PVC nut with a metal nut and rubber washer. Still drips.

Do I need to go back to a metal trap?

The washer is the seal not the threads so that is suppose dotbe where
it leaks. You really have a copper drain? That's pretty unusual.

I'd check the condition of the surfaces where the gasket goes. I'm
guessing that one of the surfaces is patr of the original plumbing.
You may need to clean it up a bit with some sand paper.