Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

D.M. Procida ) wibbled on
Saturday 22 January 2011 22:01:

Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

So not standing on the floor at all (like the web page suggests)?

OK - if you can locate the studs in a studwork wall and screw into them -
loads and loads of weight will be fine.

If it's PB on dot'n'dab against brick, I would use frame fixings so as to
get deep into the brick without pulling hard up agains the PB (which can
dent it).

If it's dot'n'dab onto celcon blocks (spit) I would use Fischer Frame
Fixings - forget the part number, buy they have teeth for most of the
length. Drill the holes exactly the right size with an HSS drill so the plug
is a perfect fit - if you find you have a very cheesy block (as I did at the
last house) a smear of Araldite on the fixing will stop it from turning and
grinding out the hole. Some celcon type blocks are so bad though.

In either of the last two cases, treat the frame fixing like a rawlplug - it
set it in the wall, now through the shelving - then screw through the
shelving into it.

I have had success with the last method and the first method - the first
being very easy - hanging lots of shelves to hold heavy books and computers.

HTH

Tim

--
Tim Watts