Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Installing offset closet flange

"Iowna Uass" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
Never installed an offset one.

Need to move a toilet away from the wall 1.5-2"" to meet the 12" spec
from finished wall. Waste is 3" PVC to basement. Best I can think of
is to use an offset flange which will give me what I need.

Question is in cutting the hole in the subfloor. Subfloor has been
replaced
with new. With std closet flange it's just a matter if locating
proper place and cut round hole to meet 3" soil pipe. Because of the
offset it seems the hole has to be cut oblong so it can be inserted
then sit flush (no pun intended). Is my figuring on track?

If you have a newly installed subfloor, why battle with an offset?
I would (if I had access to the underfloor) remove enough of a section
of drain pipe to patch in two couplers and a bit of pipe to extend the
distance. That way you can use a standard flange.
If you still have concerns about the old hole, shore up the underside
of the floor with a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. That'll give your
flange something to grab onto and strengthen the area.

Thanks for the reply. Really didn't wanna go hacking at the pipe below
too much. Half of the DWV and copper is not even strapped in the
basement. My favorite plumbing line is if you move it it's gonna leak.