Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Repair or replacing a GE Spacemaker Microwave?

On Jan 19, 9:55*am, BSAKing wrote:

In any event, this morning old Betsy decided not to heat anything up.
All the bells and whistles are there, fan runs, etc, lights action,
keypad works, just no heat. So I suspect more than likely the
magnetron or xformer.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a secondary fuse I could
check on this model before I turf it? Obviously main one is good as
everything else powers on.

It's likely NOT the transformer, but the HV capacitor or the magnetron
could
be at fault. In either case, it's worth the cost of repair parts to
fix, but
there's high voltages involved. Consider taking it to a repair shop.

These things are heavy, alas, and you'll have some awkward moments
trying to unbolt it. If you pop the cover and see a schematic,
there will be a chance to find/replace fuses and detect loose wires
before
opening your wallet wide. BEWARE THE HV CAPACITOR, it is a metal
can (smaller than a beer can) and cannot be presumed safe until you
short its terminals.