Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Lintels overhanging a newly made door way?

Tony Graham (no@ta) wibbled on Monday 17 January 2011 23:32:

Cheers Roger. Yes sorry the overhang that supports the brickwork either
side of the door opening.
I managed to find the plans and like you say it should be min 150mm
bearing each side.
I've also found the pictures with measurements and it doesn't bode well.
The lintel measures 1040mm and the door opening measures 820mm.
So I make it 80mm short!!! It looks to be sitting at 120mm overhang at one
side and 100mm at the other!.

Anyone know how picky these guys are?
In my favour it was done in 2007 and there has been no cracks etc above it
plus the lintel was meant to be a Robeslee 100mm x 70mm and it looks more
like a 150mm x 70mm if that makes a difference?

How much is it supporting?

I have one lintel overhanging on one end by maybe 2.5-3" !

No it wasn't one of mine - and it is holding up 4-5 courses of brick for 3'

--
Tim Watts