Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Graham Tony Graham is offline

Default Lintels overhanging a newly made door way?

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 17/01/2011 22:17, Tony Graham wrote:
Bit of background:
We stay in a semi-detached with up and downstairs.
We had a doorway knocked into an outside supporting wall so we could
access
an already in place extension. It was more convenient with this layout.
We submitted plans for the work but for the life of me I can't find them
and
the building clerk is coming next week to inspect it (hopefully grant a
certificate)
The work was carried out 2 years ago so its all very hazy the actual
details.

What I'm looking to know is, is there a guide on how much the concrete
lintel should overhang the brickwork below? Given it is the ground floor
of
the outside wall.
They told me just to take pictures at the time as that should suffice.

Cheers.

By 'overhang' do you mean the bits at each end of the lintel which are
supported on brickwork either side of the opening? How wide is the
opening - is it just single door size?

For a single door width, 150mm each end should be sufficient - so the
overall length of the lintel should be at least 300mm greater than the
width of the opening.
--

Cheers Roger. Yes sorry the overhang that supports the brickwork either
side of the door opening.

Anyone know how picky these guys are?
In my favour it was done in 2007 and there has been no cracks etc above it
plus the lintel was meant to be a Robeslee 100mm x 70mm and it looks more
like a 150mm x 70mm if that makes a difference?