Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you fix a bulged gun barrel?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:04:29 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 1/10/2011 4:33 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Der be Bulges..and then there are bulges.

Well my concern was the possibility of either over compressing the
bulge, or getting adjecent deformation into the bore that might cause
the bullet to stick at that point. As you know, that sort of event
seldom has a happy ending, outside of maybe walking away with all 10
fingers...

Jon

The bulge wont grow if you keep your rounds within accepted
pressures..and the bullets wont stick if you keep your bullets above the
proper minumum.

Id not recommend using hollowbased wadcutters as mine tends to build up
a smidgon more lead in the bulge when I was experimenting, but other
than that..cast or jacketed..it still shoots very well. And Ive run at
least 15,000 rds down that barrel.

Shrug

Gunner

--

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once."
Robert A. Heinlein