Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Burnt electrical outlet and plug

wrote in message
We recently had one burnt electrical outlet at our office. The
appliance plug is also burnt as well. All the outlets at our office is
rated at 20Amps and have fuse protection. The fuse did not trip.
Anyone has a clue why the outlet and the plug are burnt? I am planning
to just replace the burnt outlets and the appliance plug, but I really
prefer to know what caused the burning in the first place.

Here are 2 photos showing the plug and the outlet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341105173/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341718398/

Thanks

Without having a beter look , I would say that in the plug where the wire is
connected to the prong, there is a loose or high resistance connection.

You usually get heat build up at the bad connections. If the plug can be
taken apart, see if the connection is loose. Unless there is some reason
the whole prong is not making connection all over the plug and socket,
there probably was nothing wrong with the socket except the plug overheated
and caused the burnt spots on the socket.