Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Security Door - One Way Screws

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 00:21:18 -0800, "Robert H" wrote:

I am about to install a security screen door which will be attached to the
house with 8 included 4-inch color-matched one-way screws. Obviously, I
need to get it right the first time. According to the oh-so-simple
instructions, I just need to drill 3/16-inch holes, then use a flat blade
screwdriver to insert the screws.

So use regular screws until you get it right. Then change screws.

How do the pros do this? Is there a drill bit for one-way screws?

No. To put them in? Why would that be different? I wanted to take
my expensive door bolt with the twin round keys, that I paid for and
installed, including in the steel door frame, when I left my apartment
in NYC. I had put in one-way screws, the ones that are flat going
clockwise and sloped and rounded up going the other way. One the door
side, the wood door is metal clad and the wood part of holes were not
that tight. They didn't have to be becuse the force would be in the
other direction. The door jamb prevented pulling.

They were supposed to be tight enough that a burglar entering via the
fire escape wouldn't be able to get out the apartment door. And the
fire escapes on the front of the building didnt' go to the roof, so it
was quite unlikely anyone would enter that way. (Though I did once
when the landlord illegally broke in and changed the locks. I went to
the girls upstairs, out their window, down the fire escape one flight,
broke the glass in one small pane, entered, and changed the lock
again, then wouldn't leave the apartment until I resolved it with the
landlord.

So when I moved out, I used a hammer and a screwdriver to make the
slightest notch in the screw head and unscrewed them, and because the
holes weren't tight, it worked. I shouldn't have taken it. There is
no use for such a lock in Baltimore, at least not where I live.

I also
had the idea to first install the door using 2-inch hex-head lag screws,
then remove them one by one and replace with the one-way screws.

That's something like what I just suggested. Why don't you do that?
I don't know why lag screws especially. Aren't they thicker than the
one-way screws you have?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.