Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow[_2_] TheOldFellow[_2_] is offline

Default How long does it take to thaw out an underground pipe?

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:11:15 +0000
Tim Watts wrote:

TheOldFellow wrote:

Incidentally, do I have a complaint against United Utilities as my
stopcock is only 15" below the road? I realise that the pipe from
there to my stopcock is my responsibility.

That's bad - a depth where it could easily freeze.

And indeed that is where it had frozen. Five kettles of boiling beck
water, sucked out with a wet'n'dry vac when it got cold.

Sounds of rushing water!

Said 15" pit is now filled with (removable) insulation.
New job on list: fit new deep large bore mains water feed.

Whoopeee Bath Morning!!!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

R.