Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do you thaw the underground supply water pipe.

TheOldFellow wrote:
Did all the right things. Left the (sealed system) heating on, turned
the water stopcock off, drained down the cold water system right to
the stop-cock.

After five days returned to no supply at the drain-down just 3 inches
above the stop-cock which is just 4 inches above the slab.

United Utilities says they are very busy, and they might call me back
in a few hours to take details. Sounds like a long wait.

So how can I move the thawing of the supply pipe forward? The
15mm black plastic incommer is gently curving as it enters the slab, so
pushing a thaw-pipe in is going to be hard. Is there any electrical
way - water does conduct a little?

I suspect, that like the electricity supply, it isn't buried far enough.
So I might be into trenching.....

I hate winter.

Yes, well..

I would say that what you need to do is apply gentle heat - fan heater -
to pipe below stopcock.

Even if it is MDPE, it will still conduct a little.

Chances are that is where the ice is.

When you say stopcock, I assume opu mean your won internal one, not one
in the street..

R.