Posted to rec.woodworking
busbus busbus is offline

Default How to fix a gouge in a table top?

On Nov 29, 11:34*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

How deep is it?
How many fibers did it tear out?
Is it a scrape (to be filled or replaced)?
Or just a depression (which might be steamed out)?
*etc. *

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so find a way to put one online for
us.

Oh, it is deep! You said it: something must've fallen then shifted to
one side or the other and tore up a nice long piece.

I was afraid the best answer would be to rout the spot out and put a
new piece of wood in it. If I need to do this, then I think a LOT of
playing around is going to be called for because I ain't never done
that before and this piece of furniture holds sentimental value for my
wife.

Here is another stupid question: is the type of mahogany used to build
this thing 70 or so years ago the same as what is used now? I guess I
am asking if it will match up...I guess that is a stupid question.

I was just hoping for an easier answer! Thanks...I will let you guys
know what happens. I think I am going to keep this piece until

busbus