Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default How to fix a gouge in a table top?

On Nov 29, 10:44*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
busbus wrote:
Well, actually a series of gouges. *The top of my wife's mother's
buffet cabinet was gouged during a move many years ago. *Parts are
very deep. *I have hesitated trying to fix this over the years because
it is out of my league. *I have asked in the past if I could refinish
the entire dining room set as it is showing signs of wear and tear
over the years and she finally caved in over Thanksgiving and actually
asked if I would give it a shot.

The set is from about 1940 and is mahogany. *This will be the first
big refinishing project I have ever done. *I am partially excited
about it because the varnish is cracking and wearing off, mainly on
the tops and the backs of the chairs.

The biggest thing I have to deal with is that gouge. *It is about six-
inches long and about 1/2" or so wide. *How do I tackle that?

Best would be a dutchman -

You said it, buster.... we exclusively use snadabel materials [sic]