Posted to rec.woodworking
busbus busbus is offline

Default How to fix a gouge in a table top?

Well, actually a series of gouges. The top of my wife's mother's
buffet cabinet was gouged during a move many years ago. Parts are
very deep. I have hesitated trying to fix this over the years because
it is out of my league. I have asked in the past if I could refinish
the entire dining room set as it is showing signs of wear and tear
over the years and she finally caved in over Thanksgiving and actually
asked if I would give it a shot.

The set is from about 1940 and is mahogany. This will be the first
big refinishing project I have ever done. I am partially excited
about it because the varnish is cracking and wearing off, mainly on
the tops and the backs of the chairs.

The biggest thing I have to deal with is that gouge. It is about six-
inches long and about 1/2" or so wide. How do I tackle that? Do I
fill it up with filler and then top it off with a shellac stick or
something? The good thing about this problem is that it is near the
back of the cabinet top and not on the front but, still, it is on the
top. I am a little scared to fill it only with putty as I have not
had much success with it as I can't seem to "hide" it even in small
areas, let alone a large one like this.

Also, anything else I should be on the look out for as I attempt to
refinish this? Any gotchas that I need to look out for?

Thanks!