Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Looking For Discontinued Tile - Westminster F100- POST from Jamesgangnc

Larry B wrote:
Someone replied to this post but my newsreader does not show it for
some odd reason. I found it in Google search. So, here it is again
with my response.
From Jamesgangnc:

How many do you need? Have you taken a piece into some tile outlets
to see if you can get close? I'm thinking there are a lot of 4"
glossy white tiles out there. Depending on where the tile is you may
be able to find something close enough.

I find that what I see as flaws in homes is generally overlooked by
98% of the world. Tiling is one of those things. I take great pains
to try to achieve a uniform gap and straight lines in my tiling jobs.
I freqeuntly see other tiled spaces that just look shoddy to me but no
one else seems to notice.

My response:

This tile has a unique undulating surface so they are not typical
white tiles. Everyone I have called says that they have nothing like
it. I need 12 v-caps and 4 end caps. However, my quest is nationwide
and I have found some 6" v-caps. It has been suggested that I cut the
6" down to 4" but won't that leave me with a weird edge that will
always be getting dirty or chipped?

depends upon how you cut it. with a good blade in a diamond wet saw, it'll
be a straight cut with little to no chipping. you can smooth it off using a
diamond bit in a stained glass grinder. if you have a s.g. shop that teaches
nearby ask to rent a few minutes on a grinder. use a well-used grinder,
which will have the smoothest bit.

"Larry B." wrote in message
F100- Bright White Glossy 4"

Well, wasn't I surprised to go looking for some replacement tiles
and find that they had shuttered their doors in 2008.

Is there a cottage industry in discontinued tile and/or a
clearinghouse website for selling/buying odd lots of (discontinued)
ceramic tile? I am in Southern California and have made a few calls with
no luck.
Any suggestions? Thanks