Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Spray painting MDF…?

In message
Jim K wrote:

On Nov 2, 11:19 am, Mathew Newton wrote:
Having been looking at fireplace mantelpieces I am finding that
in the style and price range I'm looking at the majority seem
to be rather simple affairs made out of sprayed MDF so I've
decided to try my hand at making my own.

Spose could be a reaction between the different layers/types of
paint I used? certainly when I tried to over lacquer the
plastikote with car lacquer (on a test piece) it reacted badly
and effectively ruined the plastikote layer....

I wonder if using all car paints (from paint factor not halfords
;)) would be a better route next time?

Jim K

You are supposed to use the same paint type when using highly
volatile paints like Plasti-Kote because the thinner can cause
adverse reactions, even when using the exact paint type and
thinner can still cause reactions, as there is a time frame to
apply or reapply these types of volatile solvent based paints,
which tend to bond a bit like cellulose by softening the
underneath layer, of course this doesn't apply to conventional oil
or water based paints, usually just car paints.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes