Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y
Sam Wilson Sam Wilson is offline

Default Satellite dish positioning

In article ,
lid (Windmill) wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:49:26 GMT, Windmill wrote:

The problem is that the satellite might be out of view, just barely,
_behind_ the side of the wall.

At this time of year the sun is roughly in the same position as the
constellation of satellites for Freesat/Sky etc about 0920 GMT (1020
BST)(*). Anywhere that is clearly sunlit at that time should be able
to see the satellites. Dish mounts do let you peek a dish around a
corner.

It's a very very close thing, but there is one (only one) other dish
along the whole length of the street i.e. in about 100 rear-facing
flats.
So either possible, or the dish owner has been disappointed.

Might have to build a contraption to space the dish away from the wall.

This is probably a bad idea since I know almost nothing about how radio
waves propagate at sat-TV frequencies, but is there any chance of
getting a reflection of something at the other side or at the end of the
block? I also assume you're not on the ground floor since you would
already have thought about mounting the dish on the ground away from the
wall, right?

Sam